Technology has revolutionised healthcare, and one innovation that has transformed medication management is the Electronic Medication Administration Records (eMAR) system. This digital solution has replaced paper-based records, making medication administration more efficient, accurate, and safer. With eMAR, healthcare facilities can streamline their processes, reduce the risk of medication errors, and improve patient care. Also, eMAR promotes better communication among healthcare professionals and enables comprehensive medication management. The greatest advantage is the real-time monitoring of patient drug administration, enhancing patient safety and overall healthcare outcomes. Here we share some of the useful insights on real-time monitoring in eMAR:
Real-time monitoring of medication administration refers to the continuous tracking of the type, dosage and frequency of medicine being given to a patient. So, caregivers can monitor medication administration as they happen. There are a diverse range of advantages of real-time follow-up in medication administration such as:
- Instantaneous documentation: The electronic medication administration records (eMAR) system enables healthcare providers to instantly document medication administration details in real-time as they administer doses to patients. This digital documentation captures important information such as dosage, route, time, and any relevant notes or observations. Caregivers can easily retrieve this comprehensive information from the eMAR system, facilitating efficient and accurate medication management.
- Barcoding and verification: Barcoding and verification technology are integral features of many eMAR systems. These systems leverage barcodes on medication packaging, allowing healthcare providers to scan them and verify the medication against the patient’s electronic health record (EHR). This process ensures accuracy and helps prevent medication errors. When a medication barcode is scanned, the eMAR system cross-references the information with the patient’s EHR, confirming that the medication is indeed prescribed for that specific patient. This real-time verification provides instant feedback to healthcare providers, ensuring that the correct medication is administered to the intended patient.
- Allergy and interaction alerts: eMAR systems are equipped with a built-in alert feature that promptly notifies healthcare professionals when a patient is being administered a drug that may have an adverse interaction with another medication. Likewise, if a patient has a known allergy to a specific medicine, an alert will immediately reach the caregiver. This real-time access to critical information allows potential issues to be identified in advance, ensuring maximum patient safety and security.
- Dose validation and reminders: Dose validation and reminders are integral features of eMAR systems, offering real-time monitoring to ensure accurate medication administration. During the process of medication administration, the eMAR system validates the accuracy of the dose by comparing the prescribed dose with the administered dose. This validation helps healthcare providers adhere to the prescribed regimen and minimise the risk of errors.
- Adherence tracking: Real-time monitoring in eMAR allows for tracking and recording patient medication adherence. By documenting when medications are administered, the system can generate reports and analytics to assess patient adherence patterns and identify opportunities for intervention and support.
- Alerts for missed doses or late administrations: If a medication dose is missed or administered late, the eMAR system can generate alerts to notify healthcare providers. These alerts prompt timely action to ensure medications are administered as scheduled, minimising the risk of medication non-adherence or errors.
- Integration with other healthcare systems: Real-time monitoring in electronic medication administration records is most effective when integrated with other healthcare systems, such as the EHR or pharmacy systems. Integration enables seamless data exchange, ensuring up-to-date information on medication orders, allergies, and patient profiles, enhancing the accuracy and reliability of real-time monitoring.
As the healthcare industry continues to embrace technological advancements, electronic medication administration records hold the key to improving patient outcomes, better medication management and drive overall healthcare efficiency. To know more about the benefits of implementing eMAR in your healthcare facility, book a demo today.