Celebrating the new year at care homes doesn’t mean that the elderly residents have to wait until the clock strikes. They can have their celebrations when the clock strikes 12 in the afternoon. If you are looking for New Year’s activities that are well-suited for older adults, you are on the right page. Here are a few ideas to bring cheer to your care homes:
- Host a lunch party: Ring in the new year with a celebratory lunch that is indulgent yet healthy. Drinking may not be a good idea for aging adults but toasting to mocktails and non-alcoholic beverages can give them a festive feel to start the new year. Make sure that the party has all the festive decorations like balloons, party poppers, and hats, etc. You can also organize a brunch wherein residents countdown to 12 o’clock noon.
- Reflect upon the last year: Invite residents to reflect upon the last year and ask them to list the things that they loved doing in 2019. You ask them to make a small card with highlights of 2019 like the birth of a grandchild or wedding of a child, etc.
- Have a sing-along: There’s no party without music. Make a playlist of popular songs and have the seniors to sing along. Singing and music will help keep holiday blues at bay. You can also distribute the lyrics on a printed sheet so that everyone can participate.
- Have family come over: For many senior residents, the holiday season has nothing to do with gifts, but it has more to do with family and friends. You can have their family and friends to come over and spend time with them. If that is not possible, then arranging a video call with the family will make seniors feel good. Living in a care home can be lonely, keeping seniors connected with the family, reassures them that they are not forgotten.
- Make a new year gift: You can also ask seniors to make cards for their family or fellow residents. Making a card with glitter or stringing together beads for making a necklace can be fun for seniors. They can make one craft item for each person coming to the care home for the celebrations.
- Plan an outing: Stay at care homes can be quite boring. To break the monotony, plan a day trip to a museum or a concert or a game. Going out during the holiday season will make them feel connected to the outside community. Make sure that seniors with limited mobility have assistance.
Improve care quality at your care home with eMAR – a cutting-edge electronic medication system
Electronic MAR sheets at care homes can help your care staff administer medicines efficiently and effectively. To know how to reduce medication administration errors at your care homes, book an eMAR demo with us today.