The use of electronic MAR or eMAR charts has drastically improved medication administration in care homes. From preventing drug errors to sorting complex paper works, eMAR is a precise and cost-effective solution in improving the overall operational efficiency of care homes. If you are running a care home, the use of electronic MAR charts can help you streamline medication processes and improve patient safety. By switching to eMAR, you can simplify the process of medication administration and reduce the hassles involved in traditional MAR charts.
Here we discuss why care homes are increasingly relying on eMAR and how your care home too can benefit from it:
1. Reduces risk of medication error: Caregivers are entrusted with the responsibility to administer drugs several times a day. From prescribing medicines to administering and documenting drug records, a medication error can occur at any stage. eMAR lowers the risk of adverse events that can occur due to medication errors. With the help of eMAR’s safety alerts and reminders, no dosage is missed and the chances of medication errors are reduced.
2. Saves time and effort: With paper-based MAR sheets, caregivers spend a substantial amount of time in determining the right medications that are due to be administered to the residents. This process is not only lengthy but also tiresome for the caregivers. With eMAR, caregivers save a lot of time from manually sorting medication records, allowing them to spend more time on person-centered care.
3. Increases staff productivity and efficiency: eMAR helps to boost the efficiency and productivity of the caregiving staff. Caregiving is a challenging job as it involves fulfilling a diverse range of important responsibilities, managing increased work pressure, and giving undivided attention to the needs of the residents. eMAR comes as a perfect tool to reduce the caregivers’ work stress by providing a centralized electronic medication record system. eMAR provides greater control and a high level of transparency that all authorized staff working within the care home could access. It saves a lot of time providing more scope to the caregivers to focus on high-quality care for the residents.
4. Easy access of data: eMAR helps caregiving staff access data in real-time. It can facilitate and enhance urgent care because of its easy accessibility. By using this software, caregivers can easily enhance their operational efficiency. It can be remotely accessed by any authorized member of the caregiving staff. Because of its easy and user-friendly interface, it provides a seamless experience in integrating data.
5. Streamlines communication errors: Communication errors could create hurdles in administering medication. The use of eMAR gives a clear flow of communication between health experts and the caregiving staff ensuring proper medication management. It also eliminates the uncertainties around medication dispensing eliminating chances of medication errors.