If you are a care home manager on the lookout for ways to help care staff provide a more efficient service to residents, you should shift to eMAR. It is an innovative medication administration record software that is trusted by many care homes in the UK. Get in touch today to book a demo.
At many care homes in the UK, care workers are compelled to spend their precious time searching through paper-based records to determine which medications are due.
Here are our top reasons why you should switch to an electronic medication management system:
- Less time spent on paperwork: Increasingly care homes are turning to eMAR to ensure improved quality, safety and effectiveness of medication management. Care home workers administer hundreds of medications daily. For each resident, they have to sift through piles of paper to ensure that the right medicine is administered to the right person. eMAR reduces that workload by eliminating the need for paperwork by providing a common electronic record that can be accessed only by all authorised staff.
- High-quality person-centred care: When you implement eMAR in residential care homes and supported living environments — your staff spends less time on paperwork. With the reduction in the workload, care home workers gain more time in hand. This extra time helps the care workers offer person-centred care. They spend more time on organising recreational activities for residents and, thus, improving their overall quality of life.
- Access information at the click of a button: Paper-based MAR sheets are needed to be protected and physically stored in such a way that only authorised staff can access them. eMAR helps you to maintain security and confidentiality by deciding who can access different parts of the system. You can control who can view, edit, remove and add information. This makes setting accountability easier as compared to paper MAR sheets.
- Instant collaboration: eMAR removes the communication barrier between the staff, doctors and the management staff. Care workers can quickly access each other’s work and send messages to each other, building an efficient and healthy communication. For instance, if a particular medicine has been administered to a particular patient, the care staff just have to log in to the system and check rather than personally checking with the individual. The supervisor can on real-time basis access all the information needed rather than calling an individual employee. The transparent system allows for instant communication.
- Eco-friendly: There is no need for storing and protecting physical copies of charts, forms, care plans, audit reports. Using eMAR, your data is completed digitally and saved on a secure server. Not only will adopting eMAR free up storage space, but it is also a way to become more environmentally friendly.
- Medical compliance is ensured: eMAR also helps care homes to ensure the safe and effective management of medicines, it also gives you peace of mind that all your medicine compliance records are complete. They will give you evidence at the time of CQC inspections.